The S.T.E.M and Arts blog by Aurelius Raines II

The S.T.E.M and Arts blog by Aurelius Raines II
"Producers, not Consumers"

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Welcome


Hello, my name is Mr. Raines.  This year, I will be teaching your child science and debate.  I’ve been a teacher with the Cambridge School for eight years.  I’ve taught math, science, art, Spanish, technology, and reading.  I’m weighing a high degree of flexibility, creativity, competence, and creativity to all of my lessons.  As a science teacher, I aspire to instill a passion and curiosity about the universe that will translate into the everyday life of your child.  For those of you who have never had a child in my class, I’m excited about the world that we will be opening and discovering together.

As your child’s debate teacher, I will teach them to think critically about everything from media to politics.  Then, I will teach them to build solid arguments as a way of building better agency in a world of conflicting influences.  So be prepared, allowance negotiations may be forthcoming.
Here are some “need- to- know” the items that will help you understand some of the daily routines and protocols in my classroom.

  • ·         I will be giving a weekly assessment every Friday.  Barring emergencies, any changes to the schedule will be announced.
  • ·         I post all of my grades on an online grade book.  The grades for your child can be viewed at www.engrade.com.  I have already sent home the username and password for your child.
  • ·         I strive to have grades entered by the end of the day or over the weekend.
  • ·         I like to give extra credit points for extracurricular studies.  This year, students can get extra points by completing small scale science experiments or by completing an independent research project.
  • ·         I value communication, and as a Christian, esteem reconciliation.  So I require that students call me with any questions that they have with my assignments and that parents call me with questions about anything.  I can be reached at  773-727-9092 or e-mail araines@cambridgechicago.com.  I can also be messaged in Engrade. Do not worry about disturbing me.
  • ·         I will communicate to you weekly through my online blog, The Dali (cambridgesas.blogspot.com). If you are not receiving this e-mail weekly, please let me know.
  • I am looking forward to a partnership with my students and their parents this school year.  My door is always open, and so is my classroom.

In Service,
Mr. Raines

No comments:

Post a Comment